A beautiful smile always wins impressions and is one of the main characteristics of a person who is first noticed by society. The upgrade of the appearance of the smile in terms of their color is achieved through teeth whitening, which is a non-invasive aesthetic technique that aims to remove the stains from the teeth so that they become whiter
The factors related to this color alteration are the following:
- smoking, because it creates discoloration due to the nicotine it contains
- age, which burdens the teeth due to damage and accumulated pigments
- the consumption of foods and drinks that more easily cause discolouration of the teeth, such as the frequent consumption of citrus fruits, red wine, drinks, soft drinks, coffee and tea
- chemicals such as drugs, extensive use of tetracycline, chlorhexidine, and fluoride abuse, which cause tooth discoloration
- Injuries from falling, because they create cracks in the teeth that favor the accumulation of residues or stains.
In addition to the alignment of the teeth, an attractive smile also depends a lot on their color, and now the white, bright smile has more and more fans. Teeth whitening is a procedure in which pigments are removed from the teeth, making them whiter. It is one of the most popular procedures in cosmetic dentistry which is carried out using an LED lamp and/or with night mouthguards.
Before every whitening, the teeth must be cleaned in the dental office. There are three whitening methods:
- the session using an LED lamp in the dental office which helps the whitening gel to penetrate better. This in turn breaks down, allowing oxygen to enter the enamel and dentin. Depending on the shade and condition of the patient’s teeth, it can improve their color up to 8 tones whiter depending on the condition of the teeth and the patient’s desire to use
- the night mouthguards at home. The dentist takes the measurements of the patient’s upper and lower jaw, in order to make the mouthguards (aligners) which should fit perfectly in his mouth. Next, he provides him with the bleaching material and informs him about the exact way of applying it
- the combination of the above two methods which will result in an excellent aesthetic result
The duration of the teeth whitening effect, ranges from 3 to 4 years, unless the patient’s eating habits combined with continuous cigar or cigarette smoking reduce the duration to 1 to 2 years. In this case maintenance with a new treatment plan is required.
It is logical that bleaching cannot correct teeth problems but only improve their color, which in our case is the goal. The aesthetic upgrade of the smile can be achieved with other methods that do not involve color.
The countdown to the brightest holiday of the year is here! Put on your good looks, your now bright smile and greet the new year with a different mood!