A beautiful smile always wins impressions and is one of the main characteristics of a person who is first noticed by society. The upgrade of the appearance of the smile in terms of their colour is achieved through teeth whitening, which is a non-invasive aesthetic technique that aims to remove the stains from the teeth, so that they become whiter.
The factors related to this colour alteration are the following:
- Smoking, because it creates discolouration due to the nicotine it contains.
- Age, which burdens the teeth due to damage and accumulated pigments.
- The consumption of foods and drinks that more easily cause discolouration of the teeth, such as the frequent consumption of citrus fruits, red wine, drinks, soft drinks, coffee and tea.
- Chemicals such as drugs, extensive use of tetracycline, chlorhexidine, and fluoride abuse, which cause tooth discolouration.
- Injuries from falling, because they create cracks in the teeth that favour the accumulation of residues or stains.
Before every whitening, the teeth must be cleaned in the dental office. There are three different ways to whiten your teeth:
- The session using an LED lamp in the dental office which helps the whitening gel to penetrate better. This in turn breaks down, allowing oxygen to enter the enamel and dentin. Depending on the shade and condition of the patient’s teeth, it can improve their colour up to 8 tones whiter depending on the condition of the teeth and the patient’s desire to use
- The night mouth guards at home. The dentist takes the measurements of the patient’s upper and lower jaw, in order to make the mouth guards (aligners) which should fit perfectly in his mouth. Next, he provides him with the bleaching material and informs him about the exact way of applying it
- The combination of the above two methods which will result in an excellent aesthetic result
The duration of the teeth whitening effect, ranges from 3 to 4 years, unless the patient’s eating habits combined with continuous cigar or cigarette smoking reduce the duration to 1 to 2 years. In this case maintenance with a new treatment plan is required.
It is logical that bleaching cannot correct teeth problems but only improve their colour, which in our case is the goal. The aesthetic upgrade of the smile can be achieved with other methods that do not involve colour. At Great Smile orthodontic clinic you can gain the smile of your dreams.